About the course
This course involves the skills and knowledge required to obtain a licence to drive a Heavy Rigid vehicle. It includes systematic and efficient control of all vehicle functions, monitoring of traffic and road conditions, management of vehicle condition and performance and effective management of hazardous situations.
Assessment of this unit will be conducted under a wide range of driving conditions by an assessor who has been accredited by Roads and Maritime Services.
To be eligible for an HR licence course, you must:
- Have held a class C (not Learner licence) or equivalent for two years or more. Any time you’ve spent on a P1 licence counts, but you can’t practice to drive an HR vehicle, or upgrade to an HR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence;
- Pass the ‘Rigid’ Driver Knowledge Test (DKT);
- Pass an eyesight test; and
- Meet the required medical requirements, as determined by the licensing authority.
This course is based on the requirements of the Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA).
- Licence class (HR)
- Statement of attainment – TLILIC2016B Licence to drive a heavy rigid vehicle
Drivers upgrading to the HR licence receive up to 12 hours (depending on the gearbox endorsement) of training and assessment activity time.
The Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) Scheme Policies and Procedures state that a minimum of 5 hours or 6 hour (depending on the gearbox endorsement) assessment time plus Final Competency Assessment (FCA) should occur.
If additional time is required for a client to reach a competent standard, additional course fees may be applied. This is clearly explained at enquiry (email and phone), further explained and agreed upon at enrolment.
Heavy Rigid vehicles include:
- Trucks and buses with a GVM more than 8 tonnes, and 3 or more axles
- Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM
- Bendy buses. Even though these vehicles are articulated, they’re treated as rigid vehicles.
Driver Knowledge Test (DKT)
Once you’ve studied for the test, you can take the free online practice DKT. It is designed to help you become familiar with the test, and decide if you’re ready to attempt the test for real.